Fathers For Autism

I am a road-worn father of an amazing autistic daughter and NT son. I started this blog to provide information, a sounding board and a voice for fathers of autistic children.

More to see on my Facebook page.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Healthy Lunch...


I was at a business lunch today and the subject of kids came up. I mentioned that my daughter is autistic and the two guys I was with both lowered their heads.

The older gentleman said that he just found out a year ago that his 17 year old son is autistic. He said that it changed his perspective on how he parented (less demanding, less harsh, etc.).

The other guy also said that his 8 year old son is autistic and that they recently purchased a house in a less desirable location so that they could be closer to a better school.

The interesting part for me was that these two have been working together for 10 years and neither knew about this until today.

They left lunch talking quietly to each other about similar challenges and goals...excited about not being alone.

I left there knowing that I saw something special happen right in front of my eyes...simply because I was not afraid, ashamed or concerned with the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment