Fathers For Autism

I am a road-worn father of an amazing autistic daughter and NT son. I started this blog to provide information, a sounding board and a voice for fathers of autistic children.

More to see on my Facebook page.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sacrifices...

Like many of you, I have sacrificed many of my own aspirations for my children. 

Is this a good example? 

Should they struggle and not have what they need because I wanted to be or do something other than what I am doing now?

Is there a bitterness associated with those questions? Not for me. I made my choices and am at peace with them, but I imagine there are many who go through this inner struggle.

Some choose one path, some choose the other.

Would a blend satisfy either? Not likely, but I am curious to talk to those who have tried.

I don't ask these questions due to a chink in my armor. I ask because I went through this struggle a while ago and still name it one of the greatest battles of my life...bloodless, but a battle filled with carnage in any case.

In the end, I feel I won. I wouldn't know if I didn't, but my kids are growing, expanding and without fear or worry.

That is a victory, to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment