Fathers For Autism

I am a road-worn father of an amazing autistic daughter and NT son. I started this blog to provide information, a sounding board and a voice for fathers of autistic children.

More to see on my Facebook page.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

All Eyes On Me...


We went to Chuck E Cheese tonight. As we were leaving, my daughter had a pretty serious meltdown because she was having a good time and didn't want it to end. 

Of course, several of the parents there thought my daughter was simply misbehaving. 

As my daughter was rolling on the ground screaming, and I was kneeling next to her repeating soothing words, I could feel the collective disapproval in the room.

Don't worry, it doesn't faze me or adjust my focus on my daughter, but it does make me sad that there isn't more understanding and tolerance.

Eventually, as I was carrying my 57 lb angry badger out of the building, I stopped very briefly and smiled to those looking, making eye contact with those I could see.

Interesting that I work every day to make eye contact with my daughter, but people that disapprove don't want to make eye contact with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment