Fathers For Autism

I am a road-worn father of an amazing autistic daughter and NT son. I started this blog to provide information, a sounding board and a voice for fathers of autistic children.

More to see on my Facebook page.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Resolutions...

New Year, new month, new day, new hour, new minute, or new second...changes happen moment by moment. 

I imagine people use the yearly milestone to refresh expectations, goals, and hopes. This is fair, I suppose. It just doesn't seem realistic in an autistic world. 

Of course, you can definitely make long-term goals (see: IEP), but we all know that they are mostly ethereal and don't have an immediate place in a minute-by-minute environment.

So, what to do about the trend of New Year's Resolutions? Hmm...

I resolve to be more patient. Not only with my family and friends, but with all of those people who judge, condemn and condescend.

I resolve to try to be healthier. This seems like the standard resolution, but mine is not for a bathing suit or date night. No, mine is to be around longer for my daughter...she needs her Daddy and I need to respect that by challenging myself to live longer.

I resolve to be the example of the man I want my daughter to marry.

I resolve to breathe when I want to grind my teeth, to smile when I want to growl, and to strangle my steering wheel less. My steering wheel didn't cut me off...

No comments:

Post a Comment