Fathers For Autism

I am a road-worn father of an amazing autistic daughter and NT son. I started this blog to provide information, a sounding board and a voice for fathers of autistic children.

More to see on my Facebook page.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sharing...


I dropped off my daughter at school today and saw a fellow autism parent who I hadn't seen in a while. I pointed out how great it was to see her son sitting calmly and patiently in line, waiting for the teacher. Last year, he would refuse to wait more that a few moments before wandering off or having a meltdown.

She was both excited at his progress and relieved that I noticed. It took me a second to understand this relief and then came to the realization that she had no one to share his progress with.

We spoke for a bit on his changes and I watched her go, wondering at how isolated she must feel.

It is because of people like her, amazing parents who feel alone in this daily challenge, that I choose to speak out, advocate, and communicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment